Last Updated on August 14, 2021
Valheim is the new craze in gaming, for good reason. It’s an awesome game to play with friends, but its popularity makes it difficult to find a server sometimes. Luckily, there’s a solution to this! Renting your own server allows you to set your own rules and play with who you want, when you want.
So what’s the best server hosting service for Valheim in 2021? Keep reading to find out!
What is the Best Valheim Server Hosting Service in 2021?
There are a lot of server hosts to choose from, which can get overwhelming quickly. Luckily, we’re here to answer all of your questions! Without further ado, here are the three best server hosting services for Valheim in 2021.
1. ArkServers (Valheim)
These guys started out, as you may guess, hosting Ark servers. They did so well that they’ve begun to expand into other survival games, so here’s what their benefits are:
- Free eight-hour trial – This is great because, well, who doesn’t love free stuff? Jokes aside, this trial lets you see how your system will interact with their servers, making it easier to justify spending money on their services.
- Fast support ; near-instant setup – Servers are complicated, and many server services like to throw you to the wolves when things stop working. ArkServers is great because they’ve got great customer service and will help when things go wrong. An added bonus is that it takes roughly 1 minute to set them up, saving you time.
- Money-back – If you try them out and hate ArkServers, they’ll give you your money back within 24 hours. Simple as that – try and hate their services? Get your cash back, and quick.
- Free domain name – This is pretty straightforward and a common perk of server rentals. In short, they allow you to make your own mini-website dedicated to your server. This allows you and your friends a place to congregate other than Discord, and a spot to post news (like server outages).
These guys are great for the more technically savvy amongst our readers. While they offer similar benefits to ArkServers, they’ve got a few added bonuses.
- DDoS protection – For the uninitiated, a Distributed Denial of Service (DDoS) attack is a hacking maneuver that targets your server’s traffic. In short, without protection from this, you run the risk of your server being shut down by malicious hackers. In essence, this means that they cause a “traffic jam” on your server, rendering it useless.
- Good speeds – ShockByte offers extremely low latency and 100% uptime. In short, this means that your connection will be better for everyone using the services.
- Longer refund timeline – Just like ArkServers, ShockByte is confident in their ability to provide a great service. They offer a full refund within 72 hours rather than 24, allowing you more time to see how you like their work.
- Global locations – Being the largest service out of the other options, ShockByte has servers all around the world. This will make it easier to find a hosting server near you to create a better connection. In short, the closer you are physically to the server, the better your connection. This goes for your friends, too, so if they’re spread all over, this may be the service for you.
3. Apex Minecraft Hosting
Just like the other two options, Apex offers near-instant and easy setup and 24/7 live support. Here’s what their perks are:
- ValheimPlus and mod support – With Apex services, you’ll be able to host a modded and higher-quality server due to its ability to mod and support Valheim Plus. This is really only important for those who are really into Valheim.
- Mobile friendly panel – Apex servers allow you to access their admin services from your phone. As simple as it sounds, it’s really, really nice. No more alt+tabbing out of the game to manage minor things!
- Automated cloud backups – Apex servers automatically backup your saves. This is a seemingly small thing that makes a world of difference when your PC crashes. It allows you peace of mind, knowing your saves won’t be lost if something happens to your computer.
- Ten player slots – Not all servers are created equally. Some can host more than others, and Apex can host up to ten. This is great for those with a lot of friends (look at you Mr. Popular), and generally makes the server feel more “alive.”
How Much Does It Cost to Host a Valheim Server?
While it will vary based on which service you use, you can expect it to be relatively cheap. Basic servers will run you roughly $4-5 per month, while nice ones can cost between $35-50 a month.
As with all things in life, the more you pay, the better services and support you’ll get. More GB generally means it’ll cost more – but it’ll run better, too.
Can You Host Your Own Valheim Server?
Yes, you can your own Valheim server if you’ve got a beefy PC. Keep in mind that hosting a server means that your PC will be running your game and that of your friends. So if you’ve got an aggressively budget PC – rent a server if you want your own. Keep in mind also that your internet connection is vital here, meaning you’ll need stellar internet to host yourself and your friends.
It’s generally easier to simply rent a server, but if you’ve got the workhorse PC to do it, there’s nothing stopping you from hosting your own servers.
What is the Best Valheim Server Hosting Service in the UK?
All of these services will work great in the UK.
However, it’s important to look for services that are hosted near you – so your mileage may vary.
ZapHosting has servers in Germany and offers the same services as the above sources. This will allow you a better connection than a server hosted in the US or Australia, but their services aren’t quite as nice as the others mentioned.